Structuring a Diet Plan For Building Muscle

I've been involved in muscle since 1991. I thank a guy named Joey for giving me my first lesson in eating for muscle growth. Everyone in high school knew him for being a musclehead. He was always eating. On the bus, at lunch, in woodshop class... all the time. I asked him one day about it and he explained to me that muscle grows in response to lifting weights, but also in response to food. The two are inseparable. Without much more teaching, I got it. I understood that you would have to eat as much protein in a meal as possible. I had memories of when my uncle used to buy the Joe Weider protein when I was a kid. It smelled like cat food. He told me that we need protein. I remember how my cousin and I tried to sneak some of his protein. We made a shake (and of course, we mixed it wrong) and got sick to our stomach! It was great!

Today, I am surprised at how many people just don't get it. Listen, if you are going to gain muscle, you need to have a meal plan that is founded on the principle of protein. If you follow these simple steps, you too can answer many of your own questions on how to craft a  diet  that is right for your specific bodytype, desires, and budget.

1. Start with Protein

Protein builds muscle. You best believe that. And don't just say you believe it...... Eat like you believe it! If muscle is your goal, start with at least 1 gram per lb. you weigh on a daily basis. Depending on how your metabolism is, you may have to raise it to a gram and a half or even two grams for every pound you weigh. Plan your meals for the day around what and how much protein you will eat at each meal. I always eat my proteins first when I eat. I always choose solid sources of protein. Eggs, Beef steak, Chicken, Tuna, Turkey. Eat solid slabs of meat, not chicken "products," or turkey "products" that may only give you 20-25 grams of protein a meal..... eat slabs and chunks of solid meat. With eggs, eat many. Eat much cottage cheese, and drink milk. The point that I'm trying to drive home here is that you need to make protein the key element and skeleton of your  diet  plan. I try to have at least 50 grams of protein with each of my meals.

So, starting out, your  diet  may look something like this:

Meal 1. 4 eggs, cottage cheese, turkey sausage

Meal 2. Protein shake

Meal 3. 8 oz. of Chicken

Meal 4. Protein shake

Meal 5. 8 oz. Steak

Meal 6. Cottage cheese, milk

2. Add Carbohydrates

Whether or not you are a hardgainer, you still need protein. Not so much when it comes to carbohydrates. If you are on the skinny side, you should add two or three times more carbohydrates than protein in each meal. Carbohydrates will add the calories you need on a daily basis to support overall, consistent growth. Carbohydrates also cause insulin levels to go up, which in turn causes all of your cells to feed. These include muscle cells and fat cells. This is why many people who are  dieting  need to limit their carb intake; but for the hardgainer, you may benefit from this process.

For the person who is trying to put on muscle without putting on too much fat, I recommend eating a 1 to 1 ratio of protein and carbs. See where that gets you. If you have a little bit of a pot belly, or spare tire, it is evidence that your body will store up a portion of what you eat. You can use this to your benefit because the body will store up some protein into muscle without the needed carbohydrates. Understand that you will always put on a little bit of fat when eating to put on muscle. Let the mirror be your guide. If you are putting on a little too much fat, cut back a little on carbohydrates and fats and increase your protein to fill in the blank.

Then your  diet  may look a little more like this:

Meal 1. 4 eggs, cottage cheese, turkey sausage, Oatmeal

Meal 2. Protein shake

Meal 3. 8 oz. of Chicken, Rice

Meal 4. Protein shake

Meal 5. 8 oz. Steak, Potatoe,

Meal 6. Cottage cheese, milk

3. Then add Fruits and Vegetables.

Let me say this first before I go any further......... Fruits and vegetables are number 3 on the list because this is an article on how to grow muscle, not because I believe that they are less important nutrients. Fruits and vegetables are full of cancer fighting anti-oxidants that we should be eating more of. They are low in calories, which is very helpful to those who want to keep total calories low, but still be able to eat a nice amount of food when you sit down to eat. Again, it's just that they are not muscle food. If you are going to grow muscle, you need to have a large amount of protein and carbohydrates......... but for health and longevity, you need to eat your fruits and vegetables. Let them be your dessert.

Another example with fruits and veggies added:

Meal 1. 4 eggs, cottage cheese, turkey sausage, Oatmeal, Banana

Meal 2. Protein shake

Meal 3. 8 oz. of Chicken, Rice, Steamed vegetables, Apple

Meal 4. Protein shake

Meal 5. 8 oz. Steak topped with Fruit Salsa, Potato, Salad

Meal 6. Cottage cheese, Peaches, milk

4. Figure out your schedule.

I believe this to be an important step. Don't miss this. You and I have a life to live. We want to go have ice cream, we want to eat butter-soaked popcorn at a movie, we want to go to the mall and have a Cinnabon, we want to go out to see a live band and enjoy a frosty adult beverage. I don't want you to feel overwhelmed with this  diet  thing to where you are missing out on fun things to eat. That can lead to you scrapping your whole  diet , fitness, and health thing all together! No. Pace yourself. I always tell people to take 1 day a week and just eat whatever you want. Have a "free day." Or, you can give yourself a "free meal" instead of a "free day." Whatever you do, pace yourself. Figure out a schedule that will work for you. In order for this to work, you need to be true to yourself and true to your  diet  the other six days of the week! I've seen people do this, start losing weight, then say, "oh awesome!, I'm losing all kinds of weight.... I think I'll go ahead and cheat here, here, and here, and......." Before your know it, they stop losing weight, and are nowhere near their  diet  plan that helped them lose all that weight to begin with.

These are just basic tips with a very basic  diet  plan. If you follow this structure, you will be able to build your own  diet  plan for building muscle. You may have to add a little more protein while you cut back on some carbohydrates, or you may need to add something. Whatever your specific needs are, you still can achieve them by following these steps. Have fun, and eat.